Sunday, October 09, 2005

Who needs a blog?

I don't.
And yet, the idea appeals to me enormously.
I remember hearing, "Who needs a telephone answering machine?" and "Who needs their own computer?" and "Who needs a cell phone?" as these things became available.
Like these and so many other things, the "need" seems to develop from the usage.
So here is my blog.
I will probably grow to need it.
At this point in time (October 9, 2005) I don't even know if I will ever show it to anyone.
I will probably write things on here that I don't want most of my loved ones, friends, acquaintances to read, ever.
We'll see. (We?)
Maybe I'll write things on here that I don't want the Government to read.
Or my Employer.
Or the local Religious Community.
Everyone seems to be one offensive remark away from becoming a witch-hunter/burner these days.
So, for now, here's where it all goes. On my blog.
Atlas Shrugged? [The original title of this blog was "Atlas Shrugged," my favorite book, and a nickname I have used online in other contexts.] Anyone familiar with the book will be able to see many of its reflections here.
Reflections, not Influence. As I read it the first time, it was as if I were discovering something that I myself had written and had then forgotten about; or, perhaps, reading something that I would write in the future.
Whatever the case, Atlas Shrugged, the book by Ayn Rand, represents something central to my intellectual existence.
So it is a fitting heading for a blog written by me.
Enjoy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home